Far from ordinary: Sharing talents keeps her young
Yvonne Heugly inspires others through her zest for life
By Caresa Alexander
Church News staff writer
Published: Saturday, July 23, 2011
"I'm just another ordinary lady," said Yvonne Heugly of the East Mill Creek 4th Ward, Salt Lake East Mill Creek Stake.
Sister Heugly's life is far from ordinary. She served four missions and is currently a service missionary at the Conference Center. Since 1969 she has created plays with music and stories. She enjoys giving people the opportunity to share their talents through performing in her arrangements that are presented throughout the community.
"It is very spiritual and uplifting," said Ren Bowen, a member of the same ward. "I know that it has helped spread the gospel to other people. She has been a real example in missionary labor."
Yvonne Heugly addresses patrons of the Highland Cove Retirement Community during a patriotic program she arranged. At 83, her concern is for others.
**********************
Sister Heugly confirmed the shows have helped in the missionary work. She recalled her mission in New Zealand. She and her missionary companion were teaching a young man who was dying. He attended Sister Heugly's play "The Touch of the Master's Hand" at the New Zealand Temple Visitors Center.
After the performance, the man found the sisters and told them he felt the message was especially for him and that he felt comfort from the message and an understanding of the purpose of life. He was later baptized.
Sister Bowen noted that Sister Heugly's plays have helped the neighborhood feel connected and friendly. Her husband, Bruce Bowen, agrees. When he served as bishop, he could count on Sister Heugly to take care of the "senior community." She would prepare family home evening events for the single adults in the ward.
"It was very much appreciated," said Brother Bowen. "She was very genuine in helping others."
Elaine Maxwell, Mindy Maxwell and Brent Maxwell sing during a patriotic program arranged by Yvonne Heugly.
******
At 90-years-old, Eileen Thompson still plays the piano
and was invited to participate in the patriotic program.
*************
In addition to writing plays, Sister Heugly is a ventriloquist. One year she put on a Christmas show for her family. She said her Mr. and Mrs. Santa Claus had gone the way of the world and she needed new puppets. That is when she first saw Cornelius.
"I was standing at the counter, I looked up and there was this dummy," she reminisced. "I looked up and saw this little smile looking at me."
Sister Heugly couldn't resist the cute little boy and his size 4 clothes. She was able to take him with her to New Zealand. Sister Heugly said Cornelius was invited everywhere.
"He is a real ham," she said with a laugh.
Like Cornelius, Sister Heugly admits she was a ham as a kid. "Ever since I was born I was performing."
She has done puppetry for many years and continues to write new scripts
and purchase puppets for future performances.
Sister Heugly said her grandchildren tell her she will never grow old.
She recently turned 83 and is the grandmother of 26 and the great-grandmother to 46.
Serving and encouraging others to share their talents keep her young, she said.
"The important thing is that you are serving and that you are forgetting yourself in the service of others," Sister Heugly said.
The Reunion Band performs during a patriotic program
at the Highland Cove Retirement Community.
*******
Linda Marshall, the family home evening coordinator at the Highland Cove Branch, looks for programs that are centered on Christ and the gospel.
She said many residents enjoy events with music. Sister Heugly's arrangements provide that entertainment.
"She is very inspired," said Sister Marshall of the Winder 15th (Retirement) Branch, Salt Lake Winder Stake. "She feels such a desire to serve."
In addition to serving a mission to New Zealand, Sister Heugly also served in Pennsylvania with her husband, Shirl, and Mongolia and Tennessee. Recently, she received an International Women's Day Outstanding Service Award from The Women's Information Network.
"The Lord doesn't give us talents to just keep," said Sister Heugly. "It's in the process of doing these programs that our talents keep alive and that we feel the Spirit guiding us in the things that we are doing."





6 comments:
Interesting this article published in the church news this weekend of the 24th of July follows my post of my grand daughters helping Yvonne with one of her programs..
My mother in law married my husbands father with 7 children of her own, and Mark's dad had 4 grown children. She's been a wonderful example of loving and sharing the gospel with others. Shes been an amazing grandmother to my children.
What an Amazing tribute to a grand lady.
What an amazing woman and great article. I love that she still looks for puppets too. I'm sure her house is fun to visit! I also love the little elderly piano player. I hope I can still play at that age!
What a wonderful and inspiring woman!
Great tribute to Yvonne. She definitely is enduring to the end and inspires others, what a great example of service.
My church news just came today with this article! So neat!!!
wow, that is such an amazing woman! It's no wonder that you yourself are amazing in your own right! I always love coming to your blog. I will read. always. but leaving a comment is hard, unless, I'm in TN. I can drop comments in no time!
Post a Comment