My home is a refuge not only from the world, but from my worries, my troubles, my concerns. I like beautiful things around me. I like to be beautiful because it delights my eyes and my soul is lifted up.
---- Maya Angelou

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend part 1

Lest we should Forget......
We had a day of Remembrance planned for the Family
Our Memorial weekend began on Sunday after Church.
Everyone came to our house for dinner and a trip to the graves.
We had pulled pork sandwiches, potato salad, tossed salad, baked beans
chips, fresh fruit, and brownies and indoor smores.
recipes found here.


I love this HEUGLY sign in our home..As well as the flag shown above.
They are in my family room downstairs where we all
gathered after dinner for a special FHE. (family home evening)
We began by asking questions about why we have Memorial day.
The kids got into answering. We then talked about our parents who had passed away. Sharing special memories about Grandpa Nielsen, and Grandpa and Grandma Heugly.
Amy my DI- love shared a talk she gave in Sacrament meeting 2 weeks ago on the restoration and her conversion story. She shared her testimony. It was awesome and something we will all remember for a long time.

Centerpieces for the tables were pictures of
loved ones who had died and flowers to take to the graves,.
My Dad George Wallace Nielsen (wally)
Mark's parents Shirl and Leona
After FHE we all piled into cars and drove to the cemeteries.
First was Leona, Mark's mother. She loved the color purple.
Next to Leona was Mark's dad Shirl. He loved white and yellow.

Here's Mark sharing memories.

It was pouring down rain. Nothing could squelch the spirit that
we all felt.



Next...... to my Fathers Grave..
Miss you dad♥♥♥




After that we went back to the house and played games
 and had ice cream and brownies, and made messes.















I loved being together.Remembering loved ones, eating delicious foods,
and being grateful for those who have served our country making it safe and possible to have such gatherings.

3 comments:

mCat said...

I love the idea of the centerpieces being the pictures and then the flowers.

Might have to incorporate that one!

Joe and Marci said...

Awesome posts! You got some great pictures....I loved hanging out with the family so much. Thank you for giving us such a wonderful weekend together!

tammy said...

You always do everything just right. I love the memories you make with your family. You have the perfect Grandma house for them to visit too. I loved that about my Grandma's house. I want to be just like you.