My home is a refuge not only from the world, but from my worries, my troubles, my concerns. I like beautiful things around me. I like to be beautiful because it delights my eyes and my soul is lifted up.
---- Maya Angelou

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Batman aftermath...

I like many others was anxiously waiting for the new "BATMAN"
movie. Me like others, just wanted some down time,
 to escape and maybe put the things of the world on the shelf.
We all need a time out.
*******
Mark and I took Colin and Beau to see the movie.
But..... this time was different.
In between sips of water and eating popcorn,
I looked around to see who was by "HIMSELF"
who might be sick enough to open fire
on innocent men, women and children.
Words like delusional, demonic, twisted, diabolical,
senseless, and horrific came to my mind, as I tried to understand
how anyone but Satan himself could do something so evil.
***
Then...in Sunday School a sweet sister who has learning disabilities
asked the teacher what happened in Chicago?
The teacher said" Do you mean Colorado?"
The sister said "yes"..
She went on to say "no one will tell me what happened".
I heard this teacher explain so perfectly that there was an evil man
who did an evil thing.
He went on to explain to the rest of the class tying his thoughts
with the subject of our lesson  which was"The Church of Jesus Christ today".
He explained the great apostasy, and how people were confused
and didn't have the truth anymore.
It took the prayer of a young boy by the name of Joseph Smith
to pray for an answer to a simple prayer, for the great restoration to begin.
The teacher said what happened
to this evil man in Colorado was an apostasy as well.
A spiritual famine. A spiritual drought. A spiritual Apostasy.
And....just like old times with Cain and Abel, it is still going on,
amongst us now, today.
Are the decisions we make daily, bringing us closer to God? or are we
experiencing a form of apostasy in our thinking? in our spirit?
in our feelings?
Yes..... we took 2 grandsons to see the movie Batman.
They were unaware of the trajedy that had occured,
just hours previously. Life does go on, but are we paying attention
to the lessons that surround us everyday?

For many, July 20th will be a very sad reminder of the evil
in the world. For me it will be a reminder for me
to follow my Savior and keep the truths close to my heart.
One of which is Satan will not win. God is in charge,
and sometimes he allows bad things to happen to good people. 
Is my spirit in a good place? I pray it is.
Today as I thank God for my life and the protection of my family,
I pray for all those who lost loved ones.
My spirit is not full of hate or revenge, just sorrow and sadness.
Dear posterity, please don't fall away. 

2 comments:

mCat said...

I was in Moab when it all went down in COL. By the time I was back in town, the shock had worn off slightly but not the sadness. I too, was hyper vigilant when we finally saw it in the theaters.

Love the Sunday School teacher and his inspired way of pulling it all together!

tammy said...

"Are the decisions we make daily, bringing us closer to God? or are we
experiencing a form of apostasy in our thinking? in our spirit?
in our feelings?" - great questions.

Such a sad thing what happened. Taylor and I saw Batman just this week, and both of us couldn't helping feeling a sadness at the start of the movie as we thought of those in CO.