My home is a refuge not only from the world, but from my worries, my troubles, my concerns. I like beautiful things around me. I like to be beautiful because it delights my eyes and my soul is lifted up.
---- Maya Angelou

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Sunday thoughts on sheep?




You know when you are at the right place at the right time to hear something you need?
That happened this past week as I was exercising.
I sometimes listen to channel 21 BYU round table discussions on the 4 gospels.
****************
There I was minding my own business when my ears perked up at this quote by Brigham Young.
When Brigham Young came to the Salt lake valley, some of the saints wanted to leave for California because of its gold, better growing climate and better weather.
He said we need to be patient in getting people to come around and keep them in the church.
Members of the church are committed at varying degrees and levels. There may be some in the group or family when a certain commandment or new program is going forward that struggle a bit. Others are ready to go..
We need to find that balance that shows our love and patience and which allows others to serve where they are.
Brigham Young had a dream that he went to pick up some sheep in Davis County, and saw that they were some of the wildest, oddest flock of sheep coming toward him. He walked past some that were decrepit dwarfs, some had long shaggy hair, and some were perfect. Brigham noticed a man in the wagon herding the sheep who happened to be Joseph Smith. I looked at him and said "What are we going to do with this interesting group of sheep, the most interesting I had ever seen". Joseph Smith said "They're all good in their place Brigham, They are all good in their place"
When Brigham Young woke up the next morning he had learned that all members are good in their place. Not all can make the same commitment, not all can make the same contributions.

***
I have friends and family who struggle with life and maybe even their testimonies.
This thought helped me to be a little more understanding and patient and just accept others wherever they may be.

1 comment:

tammy said...

This is a lesson I've had to learn, just being primary president and wishing people would just follow through or step up with their callings. A good friend taught me that everyone is in a different place, just like you said. It was a reminder to me that I wasn't always in the place I'm at either, and to have patience.