My home is a refuge not only from the world, but from my worries, my troubles, my concerns. I like beautiful things around me. I like to be beautiful because it delights my eyes and my soul is lifted up.
---- Maya Angelou

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Alex's Baptism


 Alexandra had a wonderful birthday in November and chose to be baptized.
It was one of the sweetest baptism's I have been to.
Grandma Ellis gave the baptism talk and I gave the Holy Ghost Talk.
Both Grandpas were witnesses.
 Joe gave a prayer, and Marci led the music.
It was a family affair.



Jake and Liz have a beautiful family. Alex made them very proud.
Andrew baptized her, which made it even more special. Getting practice
before his mission.




Because Jake and Liz are remodeling their house they took everyone (35 of us)
to lunch at Bucca de peppa




Alex, you are beautiful, and I love you so much.
You are officially a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Liz had CTR cookies for everyone.



For Posterity sake... here is my talk on the
 HOLY GHOST
for Alex

What a wonderful day Alex. As long as you can remember you have heard about getting baptized.

2 things need to happen before this ordinance is complete. Can you imagine going to church on Sunday and just having the bread? It wouldn't mean a thing without having the water too. Right? 

Baptism without receiving the Holy Ghost wouldn't mean anything either.

When Alex called me to give this talk at her baptism, I was happy but I wasn't surprised because I knew she was going to ask me. How did I know that? I had a feeling, the same feeling that Alex has already felt in her 8 young years, when she has done nice things for others. When she has obeyed her parents and when she has felt happy inside.

Those good feelings come and go quickly, like this. 

After you receive the gift of the Holy Ghost and become a member of the church that good feeling can be there all the time as you listen and obey the spirit, like this.


The Holy Ghost doesn't have a body, so he can be felt by everyone at the same time that is worthy of this blessing.

Alex, do you remember coming to our house in the summer and feeling the hot sun? There is only one sun but it's warmth shines on everyone. Unless you move to the shade, then the heat goes away.

The same thing happens with the HG. It will leave us if we do things wrong and make a mistake, but it can also prompt us to repent and make things right again.

The HG is like this traffic light. It will give you signals to help you return to Heavenly Father. ( show traffic light) 

The HG will tell you when to go and what to do. He will caution you, and tell you when to be careful and warn you of danger.

Like the red light which means stop, the HG will whisper in your ears when to not watch a movie, or listen to certain music, And help you stay safe.

I would like to share with you a couple of personal examples.

When your dad was a baby he got very sick. He couldn't keep food down for 2 days. I heard a voice that said "go" you need to take Jake to the Dr. Now. When the Dr. Looked at him, he said there was a 50% chance that he could die. He was in the hospital for 2 weeks. If I had waited even several hours later it would have been too late, and we wouldn't be here today.

One time when I was Sammie's age I went to the mountains with my family and cousins. 3 of us wandered off when we weren't suppose to and we got lost. We were scared and it was starting to get dark. The spirit whispered to stay where we were and so we did, and said a prayer together and finally we were found. Our family had even sent a helicopter to look for us. I'm glad we listened to the HG.

One day I was at a red light, waiting for it to turn green. When it did I put my foot on the pedal and started to go through the light when I heard a loud voice that said "stop".

I obeyed and put my foot on the brakes. At that very moment another car going the opposite direction sped through a red light without even stopping. He would have injured me or killed me for sure if I hadn't stopped.

Alex I love the HG. He is my friend. He will be your friend too. He will whisper when to do things, when to be careful and when to stop just like these examples. He is also there to comfort you.

That's one of my favorite parts of the HG. There will be times when you feel sad, lonely or maybe a loved one has died. Your grandma Jolly recently passed away and I'm sure you felt the spirit comfort you to make you feel better.

The next ex. Is when I felt comforted.

After my dad died, I was feeling sad because I missed him and loved him very much. I was working at Nordstrom on a Saturday night. 
Grandpa Heugly was home preparing a lesson to give the next day in church, when he heard a voice " sue needs a pink carnation now" What? He said I can't do that right this minute. Too far to go, and I have to do this lesson. 2 more times he heard the same voice. Sue needs a flower now. So g-pa finally got in his car drove to the store and bought me a pink carnation, and drove it downtown and left it on my desk.
When I got home I asked him why he brought me the flower, he said " I didn't your dad did. He knew you were having a bad day and I felt I needed to bring it to you... It wasn't from me.
The spirit spoke to g-pa and the flower comforted me because when my dad was alive, that is what he would bring me to make me happy.

I am going to share one last ex. With you Alex. It's a time I am very grateful I listened to the HG.

Several years ago I woke up and felt a strong impression I needed to go to Walmart and make a return on something I bought. I remember saying out loud. Not today. I don't need to return this till later.. I'm too busy. Several more times I felt the same prompting. So I drove to Walmart and walked through the door and saw a long return line. I started to walk back out the store, when I thought, you're here now, let's do this.

I was irritated and didn't want to be there. I looked to the side and down to the floor shaking my head, thinking this is ridiculous, 
and then I looked up and right above my head was a picture of my father on a white star. There were lots of pictures hanging from the ceiling, but I was standing right below the picture of my dad. My heart started to beat extra hard.

I found an employee and said where did you get this photo? She didn't know but asked if I wanted it? I said yes. She said they were taking them down the next day. I sat in my car with tears in my eyes, because I didn't know what this all meant. What was I suppose to do? 

Then I started to drive to my sisters house. I told her about the picture and that I felt dad wanted her to know he loved her. Then I said, but it means more than that.

I feel I need to call you or visit you every day for a year. It's what dad would do if he was here, and so I did. It was an amazing experience. I'm glad I listened to the spirit that day. My sister Rhonda had a lot of health problems, and my calls and visits helped her through a difficult time.

Alex I am so happy for you to be baptized and receive the Holy Ghost. I bear my personal witness that the church is true. May you listen to the spirit always, is my prayer in the name of Jesus Christ amen. 

1 comment:

Michael and Natalia said...

Such a great talk, Sue!! I read it in your voice :) Thank you for sharing! And congrats to Alex!