My home is a refuge not only from the world, but from my worries, my troubles, my concerns. I like beautiful things around me. I like to be beautiful because it delights my eyes and my soul is lifted up.
---- Maya Angelou

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Young Women Broadcast




If I had a daughter I would have taken her to hear the Prophet speak
during the Young "Women General Conference broadcast.
I would want her to know how much I love the leaders of the church.
I would share feelings with my daughters about things that really matter,
 and try to build
up their confidence to face life's many trials.
But .....
I wasn't given any daughters in this life.
Instead I have been blessed with 12 grand-daughters who are amazing.
They all are different and have very sensitive spirits
to sacred things.
So what I want to share with them in 2012 is this....

President Monson:
Look to the lighthouse of the Lord
for 3 essential signals:
Believe, obey and endure.
Believe:
"Believe that you are a daughter of Heavenly Father, that He loves you and that you are here for a glorious purpose — to gain your eternal salvation," President Monson counseled. "Believe that remaining strong and faithful to the truths of the gospel is of utmost importance.
************
Obey:
Obey your parents and obey the laws of God.
Make every decision you contemplate pass this test: 'What does it do to me? What does it do for me?' And let your code of conduct emphasize not, 'What will others think?' but rather, 'What will I think of myself?' Be influenced by that still, small voice. Remember that one with authority placed his hands on your head at the time of your confirmation and said, 'Receive the Holy Ghost.' Open your hearts, even your very souls, to the sound of that special voice which testifies of truth. As the prophet Isaiah promised, 'Thine ears shall hear a word . . . saying, This is the way, walk ye in it'
*********************
Endure:

President Monson shared a definition of the word "endure": To withstand with courage. "Courage may be necessary for you to believe; it will at times be necessary as you obey. It will most certainly be required as you endure until that day when you will leave this mortal existence."

He said that over the years he has given counsel to people who have faced problems, real concerns and challenges. He told the young women he would share with them the suggestion he has given others: "'Seek heavenly guidance one day at a time.
 Life by the yard is hard; by the inch it's a cinch.
Each of us can be true for just one day — and then one more, and then one more after that, until we've lived a lifetime guided by the Spirit, a lifetime close to the Lord, a lifetime of good deeds and righteousness. The Savior promised: 'Look unto me, and endure to the end, and ye shall live; for unto him that endureth to the end will I give eternal life' (3 Nephi 15:9).

****************************

Sister Dalton:
"I wish every young woman assembled here tonight would know and understand that your beauty you shine does not lie in makeup, gooey cream or the latest clothing or hairstyles. It lies in your personal purity. When you live the standards and qualify for the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost you can have a powerful impact in the world. Your example, even the light in your eyes, will influence others who see your shine and they will want to be like you."
 Do you have something in your life that you need to change? You can do this. You can repent because of the Savior's infinite atoning sacrifice.
"He made it possible for you and me to change, to become pure and clean again and to become like Him. And He has promised that when we do, He will remember our sins and mistakes no more."

Sister Cook:
Recounting the story of the Ten Virgins found in Matthew 25, Sister Cook noted that only five of the ten virgins invited to escort the bridegroom into the wedding feast were prepared with oil in their lamps.
"You may think it selfish that the five wise virgins did not share their oil, but it was impossible." Spiritual preparation must be acquired individually, and cannot be shared, she explained.
"The time is now for you to diligently apply yourselves to increasing your spiritual knowledge, drop by drop, through prayer, scripture study and obedience. The time is now to pursue your education—drop by drop. Each virtuous thought and action also adds oil to your lamps, qualifying you for the guidance of the Holy Ghost, our Divine Teacher.
"The Holy Ghost will guide you on your journey here in mortality, even when you feel you are in flat light, uncertain of what lies ahead. You need not fear. As you stay on the path that leads to eternal life, the Holy Ghost will guide you in your decisions and in your learning."

Sister Dibb:
  Sister Dibb told the young women that Heavenly Father does not want them to look to the world and follow its ever-changing trends. "He wants us to look to Him and follow His unchanging guidance," she said. "He wants us to live the gospel and lead others to it by setting the standard high."
  The scriptures provide many great examples to illustrate this idea, she said. Samson, for example, was overcome by the world, lost his God-given power, and died a tragic, early death.
  On the other hand, the scriptures provide the example of Daniel, she said. "When worldly challenges came to Daniel, he didn't look down at the world—he arose and looked to heaven. ... Although he spent an uncomfortable night in the lion's den for standing for what was right, he was protected and blessed for his obedience."
****************
To my precious grand-daughters
 these are the words I would like to share with you.
Believe, obey and endure with me. Together we can make it.

2 comments:

mCat said...

I am so glad you posted this. I had planned on going with the YW in my ward with the other leaders but with the funeral that day, Chelsea became my priority. Rather than take her to be reminded that she had really been planning on going with her mom, we instead grabbed some other girls, bought treats and watched a marathon of Friends.

So in some ways, I am so sad I missed it, but on the other hand, I think the Lord will understand.

CB said...

How blessed you are to have 12 beautiful granddaughters - I didn't realize!
I am going to go back and listen to this meeting. I don't go anymore and I do miss it - the messages are always so beautiful and special for young and older women alike ;-D