My home is a refuge not only from the world, but from my worries, my troubles, my concerns. I like beautiful things around me. I like to be beautiful because it delights my eyes and my soul is lifted up.
---- Maya Angelou

Monday, January 16, 2012

A new twist on old words.....

I'm changing my reflection "one day at a time".


I read an inspiring quote in one of our church magazines this week.
It totally caught me off guard. Why?
Because it wasn't fancy, or new. It just hit me between the eyes as being
truthful, and what I needed to apply in my life.
*
"Asking God for our daily bread rather than our weekly, monthly, or yearly bread is also a way for us to focus on the smaller, more manageable bits of a problem. To deal with something big, we may need to work at it in small, daily bites. Sometimes all we can handle is one day—or even just part of one day—at a time".
*

“As we reflect on the value of resolving to do better, let us determine to discipline ourselves to carefully select the resolutions we make, to consider the purpose for making them, and finally to make commitments for keeping them and not letting any obstacle stop us. Let us remind ourselves at the beginning of each day that we can keep a resolution just for that day.”

*
Since I read this I started to apply it to 2 of my addictions.
Carbonation and sugar.
 I have "daily" determined to keep my resolution just for one day.
*
Today begins the cycle again. I can do this for today. No sugar or carbonation.
My body needs to get healthier.
 One day at a time.
 I can do this.

5 comments:

tammy said...

Love this. So true that the day to day goals are so much more achievable. Instead of thinking that we're failing and there's no use to keep trying, we just need to try again tomorrow.

mCat said...

Great quotes and I must have missed them, since I just read Jan issue. Makes me think of the manna from heaven. They could only handle what they needed for the day, thu compelling them to be reliant on the Lord every day.
Love the thought

One Fantastic Housewife! said...

I love this and I am constantly using the one day at a time mindset. Big tasks overwhelm me so I have learned to break it down.

Sue said...

Today is my 12th day off of sugar and carbonation. Doing this one day at a time is working for me.

can't wait to show off my results on my birthday.

( I'm giving myself a pep talk)

Good job Sue haha

Brittany said...

i love this! ...cuz there's no other way it works. amen, sister.