My home is a refuge not only from the world, but from my worries, my troubles, my concerns. I like beautiful things around me. I like to be beautiful because it delights my eyes and my soul is lifted up.
---- Maya Angelou

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Tuesday's Tenderness..


Are you one of those people?


That has the gift of putting smiles on others faces? Are you one of those who is always thinking of others?


This was a card my Husband received on Sunday at church from a teenage girl who has down syndrome. Kelsey lights up the room. Everyone loves her. When she bears her testimony you sob. She makes birthday cards for members of our ward. I couldn't help but share this sweet card.



( the card reads) Hey Mark Heugly, Happy Brithday Mark. Thanks for anything you do. Wish you have Happy Birthday. You are best Friend ever. How was your weekend going so far? Have a grat brithday love Kelsy Fitt p.s. I hope like this card I give you.



We have another sweet sister who makes cinnamon rolls for "everyone" in our ward on their birthday.



Another friend of mine gives a sweet note on Fast and Testimony mtg. to someone who bears their testimony and touches her by what they said.



I was touched by the story of a young man who was mentally impaired who worked as a bagger in a grocery store. They had a store mtg. asking all employees to step up their game, and see what they could do to help make the store more profitable. This young man talked to his dad and said "what can I do to help" They came up with the idea to cut up sayings and quotes and put them in the grocery bags for his customers. The store started to notice that people would line up, just to be in this boys line. They were touched by his little sayings and kindness.
My Dad was known for his ability to connect with the "misfits" of the world. He would reach out to all who needed a friend. He died while serving as Stake President and at his funeral we had to turn people away because the line was so long. Each person had a story to tell about how my father had touched their life.


It's true we can't do everything, but we can do something. Do you know people who have touched your life by doing ordinary simple things?

8 comments:

mCat said...

We have a gal in our ward who has sent me numerous notes. After testimony meeting or after I taught a lesson. Those notes do wonders! She recently gave one to my husband thanking him for his work with her son and preparing him for his mission.

I don't think people realize that gratitude and acknowledgment for your effort or the Spirit that you might be lucky enough to bring bouys one's soul so much!

Great post!

tiki_lady said...

ha, is that a rain cloud over his head and sunshine on hers?? LOL, at first I thought it was a brides veil and then realized I think that is rain coming down! LOL

Together We Save said...

Wow your post made me smile. Thanks for that.

Devri said...

YOu have a way with words, you could move moutains you know!

great post again...

keep them coming.. hugs

kado! said...

that card is sweet...and those cinnamon rolls sound so Yummy...I might have to bake some now!

I love it when anyone takes the time to send me anything in the mail....even just a little card saying hello...it totally makes my week....it seems to not happen much so I guess I appreciate it even more...I hope I make people smile!

tammy said...

What a sweet card.

I always feel good when people go out of their way to say they appreciated my talk/testimony or my organ playing or whatever. Even an email is nice!

Jamie said...

Oh My friend down the street saves my life daily. Just little things,taking a kid somewhere, Having one over to play,or a reminder call about where our kids are supossed to be etc.... What would I do with out her help and friendship?

Joe and Marci said...

I love Kelsey! I was her primary teacher a long time ago -she comes from an amazing family. Thanks for sharing her cute card and that great story.