My home is a refuge not only from the world, but from my worries, my troubles, my concerns. I like beautiful things around me. I like to be beautiful because it delights my eyes and my soul is lifted up.
---- Maya Angelou

Monday, May 5, 2008

Happy Birthday and Happy Mothers Day

This week I honor my mother. She turns 79 this year, and we all get to celebrate
Mothers Day.

My mom has had a wonderful life..One filled with a "Fairy Tale" marriage.
My dad never dated anyone but mom. She chose to wait for him while he served in the Navy and then again while he served a mission in New Zealand.



After waiting 4 long years they married in the S.L. Temple.. Mom had a double wedding with her sister Connie, and one of Dad's best friends Howard Eckersley. Dad and Howard even served in New Zealand together.



Mom and Dad had a love affair of the heart..Even after Dad's death, people would try and get mom to go out on a date...She looked at them as only she could and said" Why, I'm still married"..



My parents had 5 children, who would be their education.. I think Mom was surprised when her kids began thinking and doing things different than she would do. She learned valuable lessons, that she needed through her kids....(SUSAN, RHONDA, LESLIE, ROBYN AND WALLY SAY YOU ARE WELCOME) There is a debate on who educated Mom and Dad the most?
Mom is multi-talented, She was a fantastic cook, (to this day her rigatoni and cheese is everyone's favorite) she cut our hair for years...and, she could decorate anywhere any time with what she had on hand.


When I was in high school, I got asked to the prom..I told my mom I would go only if she made me a dress..( Iwas a brat) I told her that I didn't want to look like everyone else. So I gave her a picture in Vogue magazine, and said "Here, make me this dress".. She did and it was gorgeous..


Mom loved the holidays..Her decorations, and parties cheered all of us...Perhaps that's where we get our desire from..We all wanted the holidays to be special.

Out of all her talents, mom would most like to be remembered for her faith. Her testimony has always been strong.She has had many difficult challenges in her life. But, her faith has sustained her. Mom loves being a mom, grandmother and great grand mother.


Her titles are many, Shirley, mother, wife, concert violinist, sister, grandma wonderful, grandma tiki...But her most cherished title is "I'm a child of God"..She knows who she is and has lived accordingly.


Mom serving at the Temple..She did this for 14 years.Mom and Dad with their first G-son Justin.. going on his Mission

Mom loves this photo Mom and her best friend "Tiki"

Mom's most recent photo at my birthday party..

You are all probably asking "What does g-ma do in the winter of her life?" She lives in a condo (she calls it her cottage) She reads, studies the scriptures, loves to watch old fashioned love stories. She's a devoted fan of Micahel Buble..His music takes her to a place that reminds her of the happy times with my dad. Mom misses her eternal companion who's been gone for 17 yrs.. However mom is content with her allotment in life...She's anticipating her reunion with her soul mate..and her little dog Tiki...


....I hope you know how much you are loved

HAPPY 79TH BIRTHDAY..AND HAPPY 58TH MOTHERS DAY

7 comments:

Brittany said...

YAY Grandma!! We love you so much!! Happy 104th! Just kidding. We miss seeing you! Britt, Suka, Epeli

Brittany said...

PS- Look at that very first/top picture of grandpa- don't you think it looks like Matt?

The Heugly 8 said...

Mom, you brought me to tears once again. Amazing, love the whole thing. Grandma has always made me feel very special. She may never know how much that means to me. Happy Birthday and Mothers Day to Grandma Beautiful.

What an example for the whole family she is.

Thanks Mom

Love Justin

Brittany said...

SUE! THIS IS AN EMERGENCY!!! THis is Brittany and I just tried to post a comment on Grandma's guestbook and there is only a place to put your name- not a space for any comments or writing. Could you take a look and see if you can fix it? Or i can if i know the password- Thanks! So glad you set that up- awesome!

Lance and Becky said...

I love this post! I love Grandma, we are so lucky to have her in our lives. She is so beautiful my goodness! I hope she had a great birthday :) Another thing, I didn't know you guys owned a perfume store....how fun, and how cool is that! Love perfumes! And one more thing....Brittany leave a comment would ya! Love you Brit!

George said...

Suka and B.
Reply to said granddaughter...And
you are who?.....Your name is what?
Does granpa look like Matt?...."No"

Any other nuances you wish to
add?.....
Prissy Miss with Naughty Mouth
104 yrs. old.....No longer in will!

GR!..GR!..Grandma

Joe and Marci said...

To my sweet Irene Hope,

Yes, I like Buble.
No, I don't like "Cruz".
Yes, you're 79 and still "Hot"!
No, I'm not making the move.
Yes, We all have favorites.

Happy Birthday Grandma Wonderful!!

Suzy, excellent post. You make a difference! I love you!

Happy Mother's Day!!!!!