My home is a refuge not only from the world, but from my worries, my troubles, my concerns. I like beautiful things around me. I like to be beautiful because it delights my eyes and my soul is lifted up.
---- Maya Angelou

Sunday, May 18, 2008

A stranger's food for thought...

Sat. Mark and I went out to lunch,


We chose Cafe Morelia..Really good Mexican food..


We sat very close to a couple.. A much older man and a younger woman....The girl excused herself and went to the bathroom..


The gentleman turned to us and asked how we were doing? We said fine..He then went on to tell us he had just been released from the hospital...That he had died, and they brought him back to life..


He said he would never fear death again..He went on to say that he didn't have long to live, but he's still here because he had a mission, something unfinished to do here on earth ..I shook my head, totally understanding what he was trying to say.



He asked if we were L.D.S. We said yes.. He said the only thing that matters in this life is family and the experiences that you take with you...Nothing else is important...He then went on to say the girl with him was his adopted daughter. He was talking to her about the Book of Mormon..

I've thought all weekend about this total stranger who felt compelled to share with us what he had just experienced and how passionate he felt..

Minutes after leaving the restaurant, Joe called..Marci is due any minute and not feeling the best.....So I asked if he and the family would like to come over for Sunday dinner...


He said "yes" with much enthusiasm.. I then asked what he would like to eat? He said Your "potato salad"....Of all the things to choose..Whatever..

So on Sunday we ate a very simple but good meal...

Homemade pot. salad
bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches
chips
fresh fruit
homemade tarts

As we sat all together eating and laughing, I couldn't help but think of our stranger.....And once again I was reminded of how grateful I am for family gatherings and memories...
Truly, that is all that matters...and a good potato salad

2 comments:

Joe and Marci said...

Have you ever sat in the movie theater alone? Have you had dinner alone at a restaurant? Do you find yourself looking around at other tables wondering what they are talking about, and what relationships might exist? Ever wonder why children fear being alone? I’m sure many “ologists” out there might have a diagnosis.

I believe we are dependent on familiar relationships. Our families will always be there and will form our greatest memories and provide our most significant teaching/learning moments. Our reward in this life is to be with our families forever. I want to be with mine.

Mom, thank you for sharing that story.

Lance and Becky said...

I love little reality checks like that...I need the quit often :) That's so neat, and yes, I totally agree family is the most important...what would we do without each other!