My home is a refuge not only from the world, but from my worries, my troubles, my concerns. I like beautiful things around me. I like to be beautiful because it delights my eyes and my soul is lifted up.
---- Maya Angelou

Monday, October 18, 2010

The Lincoln Monument




























Loved, loved this monument...I bought a book of quotes from Abraham Lincoln. I have always

admired this President..



3 things he accomplished were:

•Saving the Union - By choosing to go to war to prevent the nation from dividing.
•Freeing slaves - in non union territory, which led to the passage and ratification of the 13th Amendment, which did end slavery by legally abolishing it.
•Becoming President - having risen from poor and humble beginnings, he had very little basic education, and no formal education, his ambition, hard work, tenaciousness, and ability to over come failure, and obstacles, he demonstrated extraordinary success

2 comments:

mCat said...

I remember as a kid, this was one of my favorite monuments.

Scrappy Girl said...

Abraham Lincoln is my fave president. I loved the Memorial, but I REALLY loved the tour of the theatre where he was shot and the tour of the house next door where he passed. The feeling in that house is unreal.

I love the quote from him
"Most folks are only as happy as they make up their minds to be."