My home is a refuge not only from the world, but from my worries, my troubles, my concerns. I like beautiful things around me. I like to be beautiful because it delights my eyes and my soul is lifted up.
---- Maya Angelou

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Autumn Musings......


The "Leaves" I want to let go of....

I love Autumn. It's sort of a new beginning for me.
It's a time to reflect and ponder and embrace breath taking
visuals of color and warmth.
It's also a good time to rid yourself of
extra "leaves" that can make the seasons of your life
more difficult.
This year as I see the fiery red and golden leaves let go of their
attachments and welcome the winter season, I too
am reminded to let go and prepare for what lies ahead.

*****
let go--of trying to be all things to all people
((I'm OK with just being me))

let go--of volunteering for everything
((I'm not superwoman,
 "I know, that one came as a big surprise"))

Let go of my youth--It's OK to be happy
 and content being the age I am
and looking the way I do
((embracing your age is so liberating))

let go of comparisons--I'm weird and so is every one else
((accept others weirdness with more tolerance))

let go of what ifs-- can't fix what has already happened
((live in the present with gratitude))

let go of counting--life is not fair
((unless your counting blessings,
 then you will find yourself way ahead of others))

let go of faster and faster--slow down.
(( Everything does not have to happen today))

let go of having to be happy all the time--
((contentment, gratitude and joy in the little things matter more,
than being on top of the world every minute))

let go of feeling entitled--I don't deserve anything.
((when you get something appreciate it to its fullest))

let go of having to be right all the time--
(( that means stop blaming, criticizing and stop changing others))
Wow!!!
I already feel better, and determined to try once again to be better.


Do you have " leaves" that need letting go?

17 comments:

CB said...

I have always thought that going through life was like the seasons but I really really love and relate to "letting go of some of the leaves" - this is a wonderful analogy.
I am going to link you up to my blog today - I hope that is OK. I think everyone would enjoy this post - it is so true!!

One Fantastic Housewife! said...

Great post Sue! I need to release several of those leaves...and maybe a couple more. The ability to look at yourself and rationally see the positives and negatives is a blessing. It is great that you use that insight to make positive changes. Some people are not blessed to do that. They just wallow in the negative and let that define them!

mCat said...

Love the "letting go" analogy.

But will you love Autumn enough for both of us? I can't get on board with the whole crispness, cold, snow, deadness that comes......

Anonymous said...

I came over from Cherie's blog to say hi...loved your post today, so true, we need to do more letting go, hard sometimes when we have been a mom to a large family and have had to be so organized and in control! LOL I had to laugh at your header picture, I hold my husbands hand the very same way! We also have 22 grands..and one great. :D

Kimmie said...

Hi, I also came over from Cherie's blog. LOVE your thoughts and analogy on the leaves of fall in comparing it to our lives and letting go of some of the leaves. I'm turning 41 and it has been hard to embrace age, but I am getting better with this. I'm going to print your post out and hang it on my fridge for HAPPY reminders to myself.

LOVE your blog...what a fun, happy blog you have and what a beautiful family! You are richly blessed beyond measure in all of the things that truly matter in life!

Have a wonderful day!

Kerri said...

Beautiful. Since I've turned 40, I feel I'm able to better deal with the letting go...and being more true to myself. It's a good feeling for sure!

Julie said...

Cherie introduced you to me too. Thanks for the words of wisdom today. Well done.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

That was beautiful.
There is so much that needs to be let go in my life.
It's so difficult to realize that you aren't all, do all, be all to all people.

Thank you!
I needed to read this.

Saimi said...

A beautiful post as well as good advice! Thank you!!

Momza said...

Popped over here via Bakow Bubble...so glad I did. Thanks for sharing your very remarkable thoughts.

Darcie said...

From one autumn lover to another autumn lover...thanks for sharing this beautiful post. Left me inspired.

Came over from Cherie's blog. :-)

Yvonne said...

Thanks so much for a GREAT post.

LOVE IT.

I love fall. As I see the leaves change and fall, I will think of this. I will make my list.

" Hit It......." said...

Loved this post. I love the concept of slowing down and having gratitude for what you have. Cherie pointed your blog out to me. I hope you don't mind if I drop in again.

tammy said...

Love this. Trying to change others and always being right part really struck home to me.

Anonymous said...

Wow you are famous with followers! And quite a writer too. I loved your inspirational thoughts. Thanks to my friend.

Susan Anderson said...

Great advice, Sue!

=)

Jenny Lynn said...

sweet words of wisdom. Ones I really needed tonight. I love watching the leaves turn colors. It is as if God took a paint brush to the Mountains.