The "witching Hour" is almost here...
Halloween is a fav. Heugly holiday...We get to dress up,and pretend to be someone else.. eat lots of candy, and see smiles on children who come trick or treating..
Decorating our home has always been part of the celebration..For years we have set out pumpkins and homemade crafts to remind us we have yet another "family gathering together."
Colin was my decorating buddy this year..He is 4, and one of the few not in school right now..Here's what we came up with .....






I love, love quilts...So I even have several halloween quilts..This is a fav..I took the pictures from vintage post cards at halloween times and ironed the pics. on the quilt...


Whoopsies!!! I have a witch on my head....
I bought these 2 ginormous pumkins for each side of our porch...A swiss days purchase
We have 3 tomb stones in our yard...Mark made these out of wood and then we painted on them.

After Colin helped me out, He willingly tried on a very scary mask..After that it was pumpkin shaped cookies..

Whew!!! Another year of goblins and princesses..Thanks Colin..He knew right where to put the screaming witches...

8 comments:
Love all the decorations. And Colin is very very very cute. I cherish that one on one time with my kids.
Thanks for the great comment on my post! About clean houses and the spirit. I need to run pick up my bed room. That is the one room in the house that gets all the mess. M
Colin had such a great time with you yesterday! Those pictures are great, I can't believe you got him to put on that mask!
Your house looks darling, I can't wait to see it in person :)
Oh my What sCaReY fun. I bet it was hard work making your beautiful house scarey:) Thanks for your kind words I loved Pres Monson's talk didn't you:0. About 8 years ago when I was in the stake YW our Girl's camp theme was "Joy in the Journey". So when I heard that phrase I perked right up .. but Joy has kind of been 'my theme word' since college. I had a a wonderful professor who had us spend several days defining the word Joy... at the end of the exploration when we boiled all the wonderful ideas down to one word it was service.
Joy = Service
Thanks for your contribution I published it today and gave you credit:)
k, can I just come live with you! I love your decorating taste and holiday decs! beautiful!
Traditions -
I remember when I was young, we lived on Military Drive. We had a two story entrance with a circular stair case in that house. Dad had rigged up a wire with a sheet for a ghost so that when kids would come in the house to take candy out of the bowl on the table, the ghost would slide down the wire and fall on them. It was funny and scarey at the same time. When I was older, Ann and Es were gone, we were living on Mountain View Drive, and only Len and I were home for Halloween. We took a table that split apart, I kneeled under the table with my head just above the table top and then Len closed the table and put a sheet on it so that it looked like a head sitting on a table. I had just enough powder on my face to kind of look fake, but you couldn't tell for sure. We left the front door open so that when kids came to the house they could see into the front entrance where a table was sitting just three feet away with a bowl of candy and a head on the table. The temptation was always too great, they would take two steps in the house, and reach their hand out to take a piece of candy. Just as they touched the candy I would open my eyes and say boo. It really freaked kids and parents out alike. I even had one mother touch my face to see if I was real or fake. When she did I growled and she ran so fast she left her kids behind. Then there were the spook alleys at Tarbert Circle where Sue's family would come and we would set up unbelieveable scenes like a mad doctor, dracula, wolf man, a casket opening, etc. The boys were small buy they loved seeing everyone have so munch fun. I remember one group of trick or treaters I brought through that year included Clair Gunn and her two daughters. As she was standing with her girls in front of her watching Sue's father act out the part of a mad doctor, Uncle Ryan opened his black cape. He was standing on the hearth of our fireplace about one foot away from Clair, but completely unnoticed in the shadows. When he opened his cape and leaned forward and the light sort of barely made him visible, Clair realised that a dracula was six inches away from her and a foot over her head. She freaked. She fell to the floor, fainted, and then got up and ran out of the house. After that the spook alleys at Brandon Park almost got out of control. The boys were older and we put together unbelieveable spook alleys. We would have twenty-five people in a line at our front door waiting to go through. I can remember Sue's dad, Wally, again using a meat cleaver to chop on a cow bone that we had arranged to look like the bottom half of a young girls leg as she lay on our pool table. Again Wally was the mad doctor, but this time every time he wacked the bone with the cleaver, the young girl would scream with pain. Bone chips and cow parts and blood were everywhere on the sheet covering the girl. That made an awful image and a slightly realistic smell. The McDougals relatives of Yvonne, had lent us a really great looking coffin that year from their Mortuary. What a great spook alley that was. In the middle of all of this was Sue, every year for 30 years making sure we had the house completely decorated. Making sure there was enough chili and treats for everyone with plenty to spare. Now here we are, just Sue and I. We live on a street where maybe one or sometimes two trick or treaters will ring our bell each year. Still my beautiful, wonderful, clever, talented wife decorates the house by herself because she knows how much I love it and she knows I just can't help much anymore. She gets Colin involved and adds wonderful grandmother to her list of things done this day. Traditions cement memories. Days slip by and you get older but some memories don't fade. Often those are memories connected with a tradition. Tonight I realize how lucky I am to have married a traditional girl. Mark loves Sue.
Pop
Wow,
Dad, you're killing me.
Mom, Dad's right. Those are my memories, my past, and will be part of my future.
See you at Halloween. I will give you a hint..."You look nervous..! Why so serious?"
Family is everything! With the market crumbling before our eyes, some things never change. Sometimes all you want to do is go home and say, "Hold me."
Love you guys,
#5
Awesome. I've always cherished the holidays. Dad pretty much nailed when he said he married a traditional girl. Mom you've always made the holidays special and all the decorating and food and treats were always amazing. Every Halloween I still find myself wishing I was eating some chilli having a roll and being with mom and dad. That has been a hard thing to start my own traditions with my kids creating those kind of memories while still wishing I was home.
Thanks to both Mom and Dad for such fun memories
"Heeeeere's Johnny!" "I see dead people." "They're heee-re.""I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti". "Whatever you do, don't fall asleep." Theres just something about Halloween, scary movies thats in my blood. Must come from my dad. I remember growing up and my dad's favorite things to do was to scare his boys. It was hiding behind a corner, hiding in our rooms (making Predator noises), it was scaring us on the trampoline when we were sleeping outside with his scary masks. Of course one of my favorite memories was when he was chasing me through the house at Tarbert Circle. I ran up the stairs and opened the front door to make it seem to my dad that I went outside. Instead I hid in the front room. He was tired and headed into the kitchen. I quickly saw my chance to get him. As he was getting a glass of water I jumped out and yelled. Let's just say white man can jump. Last year I had my really sacry mask and sat on my porch like I was a dummy. I only scared the older kids (relax ma). But I have to say I really enjoyed it. Thanks dad.
Of course the decorations and the chili will awlays make Halloween feel normal. There is nothing like home. Mom has always made it place of love, comfort, & peace. Thanks mom and dad for all you do.
-Middle child
Post a Comment